AudiutopiA

Welcome to AudiutopiA!

audioenjoyment.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

AudiutopiA

Welcome to AudiutopiA!

audioenjoyment.....

AudiutopiA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AudiutopiA

Audioenjoyment

Latest topics

»  Emotiva ERC-1 CD Player / Transport
Vintage gear? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 5th 2013, 11:13 am by paintmaster

» Piano Black UFW12 mint....$300 reduced
Vintage gear? I_icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2013, 3:22 pm by mobileusa

» Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts
Vintage gear? I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2013, 8:17 am by quantx

» engulfaudio
Vintage gear? I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2013, 8:12 am by Admin

» Melody I880 For Sale
Vintage gear? I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2013, 6:15 am by mobileusa

» M&K S150 THX system
Vintage gear? I_icon_minitimeMay 21st 2012, 9:00 pm by ch46eseaknight

» The New Setup at our Townhouse
Vintage gear? I_icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2012, 8:44 am by mobileusa

» FS Oppo BDP 93
Vintage gear? I_icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2011, 8:15 am by petros the plumber

» WANTED AV123- ONIX SERIES INTERGRATEDS 60'S & 120'S & CD/PLAYERs
Vintage gear? I_icon_minitimeMay 24th 2011, 12:07 pm by oddjobs

5 posters

Vintage gear?

monkeypimp

Number of posts : 54
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Vintage gear? Empty Vintage gear?

Post  monkeypimp April 26th 2010, 8:04 pm

So I have decided that my office in my house is going to go Retro and not the new version of retro but actual retro... My wife's great aunt passed away recently and had lots of old school furniture, clocks, temperature guages, etc. Well I ended up with some cool knick knack items like 3 Westclox Baby Ben clocks ranging from the 30's to the 60's, and old school Airguide barometer-thermometer-humidistat and Desk lamp....I also got a couple of old school 60's table lamps and a 6 foot long dresser. Well this is the starting point for my makeover of my office. I am going to start hitting some garage sales, auctions, estate sales, fleamarkets etc and look for a retro desk, floor lamp, hanging light fixture and any other cool retro stuff.

All of that was to say that on this dresser I plan to display some of the items above items. I am in the process of building out some Neo2x's ( I want newer speakers) but I want to power these with some old school vintage gear. It will be a two channel setup with a turntable and Dac from my PC. I would totally love to have something with analog VU meters on it such as the Marantz 140 amp..

So what should I be looking for? I did find this one Audiogon: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....0&/Marantz-140 but don't know much about vintage gear and it is hard to find reviews on lots of the vintage gear. So any help or guidance would be appreciated.
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Number of posts : 564
    Thanked by peers : 12
    Registration date : 2009-01-30

Vintage gear? Empty Re: Vintage gear?

Post  mobileusa April 27th 2010, 8:50 am

I bought these about 6 months ago...
    Vintage gear? Amp01396088299620059
    Vintage gear? Tun49732295
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Post  mobileusa April 27th 2010, 9:00 am

I love vintage stuff. The old Onix 2150 had VUs...

Onix Amp A2150 Specs:

Rated Power Output: (20-20 KHz with both channel driver)
    4 Ohms at rated THD……………180 Watts/channel
    8 Ohms at rated THD…………....120 Watts/channel

T.H.D at Rated Power: 0.02%
    I.M.D at Rated Power: 0.03%

Damping factor: >100

Frequency response 20-20 KHz: <+/-0.5db

S/N Ratio (A-Weighted): 105 dB

Input Sensitivity: 1Vrms

Channel Crosstalk (10KHz): 80 dB

Dimensions:
    W/H/D…………………………..16.5/4.9/15.4
    Weight…………………………..14 kg/30.8 lbs.

I'm sure most of the older Marantz gear would be fine...
    monkeypimp

Post  monkeypimp April 27th 2010, 9:22 am

mobileusa wrote:I love vintage stuff. The old Onix 2150 had VUs...

I like that unit and there were 2 available on Audiogon last week but I couldn't find anytype of matching preamp. That is one of the reasons I like the Marantz is that I have found it fairly easy to find matching components.

I am not in a huge hurry so I am taking my time and find what I really want.
    skeeter99
    skeeter99

Number of posts : 89
    Thanked by peers : 6
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

Post  skeeter99 April 27th 2010, 9:40 pm

monkeypimp wrote:

I like that unit and there were 2 available on Audiogon last week but I couldn't find anytype of matching preamp. That is one of the reasons I like the Marantz is that I have found it fairly easy to find matching components.

Yeah I really like those Onix amps too. I really want to pick one up but those two on Audiogon were overpriced. I'm still trying to get one from Kyle. The VU's are trick, especially when lit up in the dark cheers
    johzel
    johzel

Number of posts : 81
    Thanked by peers : 0

Post  johzel April 27th 2010, 9:42 pm

monkeypimp wrote:

I have a Marantz 1970's 112 Tuner stored in its original box. Perfect condition. Sure wished I still had the 1060 integrated amp and the Advent speakers that went with it. I see the 1060's, if mint, are going for almost as much as when they were new. Apparently they're going for a bundle in some foreign markets. Sounds like a fun project. The good old days. On a rainy heavy sky night sometimes our family got as many as three television stations if the tin foil hung just right on the rabbit ears!!!
    monkeypimp

Post  monkeypimp April 28th 2010, 7:18 am

johzel wrote:
    monkeypimp wrote:

I have a Marantz 1970's 112 Tuner stored in its original box. Perfect condition. Sure wished I still had the 1060 integrated amp and the Advent speakers that went with it. I see the 1060's, if mint, are going for almost as much as when they were new. Apparently they're going for a bundle in some foreign markets. Sounds like a fun project. The good old days. On a rainy heavy sky night sometimes our family got as many as three television stations if the tin foil hung just right on the rabbit ears!!!

So if I end up with the Marantz 3200 preamp and Marantz 140 amp I am most likely gonna need the tuner..wonder where I could find one of those in Mint condition...hmmmm...... Very Happy
    monkeypimp

Post  monkeypimp April 28th 2010, 7:39 am

I am not sure If I shared the pics of the enclosures(that will be here tomorrow) I had made for my N2X's I am building but if I get this Marantz gear I should see if he can make the wooden cabinets for the amp, preamp and Tuner that I will eventually add in matching zebrawood. cheers Very Happy sunny

Anyway here is a pic of the N2X cabinets that are on there way..now he is working on the matching stands!

Vintage gear? 0423s
    skeeter99
    skeeter99

Post  skeeter99 April 28th 2010, 8:12 am

Wow those look amazing!! Really nice veneer job and the veneer itself ... MMM!

Question for you guys, I may have a lead locally on a Marantz Model 240 amp, what do you guys think of it? They are asking $225 for it and it looks VERY nice.
    johzel
    johzel

Post  johzel April 28th 2010, 8:21 am

[quote="monkeypimp"][quote="johzel"][quote="monkeypimp"]

So if I end up with the Marantz 3200 preamp and Marantz 140 amp I am most likely gonna need the tuner..wonder where I could find one of those in Mint condition...hmmmm...... Very Happy

You mean one like this???? Very Happy

Vintage gear? Marant11
    skeeter99
    skeeter99

Post  skeeter99 April 28th 2010, 9:04 am

Seriously, old Marantz gear is so classically good looking. I don't think it will ever look "ghetto" like so many other pieces of old gear can look.

Beautiful tuner ...
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Post  mobileusa April 28th 2010, 9:46 am

[quote="johzel"][quote="monkeypimp"][quote="johzel"]
    monkeypimp wrote:

Vintage gear? Marant11

oooh, stereophonic!...love the old gear Razz
    monkeypimp

Post  monkeypimp April 28th 2010, 10:38 am

[quote="johzel"][quote="monkeypimp"][quote="johzel"]
    monkeypimp wrote:

Vintage gear? Marant11

Amazingly I did mean just like that one! Very Happy
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Post  mobileusa April 28th 2010, 10:48 am

johzel
    johzel

Post  johzel April 28th 2010, 10:51 am

monkeypimp

Post  monkeypimp April 28th 2010, 12:36 pm

There are a couple of 1060 available on Ebay right now at about $175 before shipping.

This one looks pretty nice:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110524065271&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    johzel
    johzel

Post  johzel April 28th 2010, 1:34 pm

monkeypimp wrote:

There are a couple of 1060 available on Ebay right now at about $175 before shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110524065271&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Oh thanks. Just what I need . . . another amp. Smile
    monkeypimp

Post  monkeypimp April 28th 2010, 1:51 pm

johzel wrote:
    monkeypimp wrote:

Oh thanks. Just what I need . . . another amp. Smile

Glad I could help! Very Happy

Hey it's either buy another amp or "Donate" your tuner to a good cause! Laughing
    monkeypimp

Post  monkeypimp April 29th 2010, 9:40 pm

So I ended up buying the Marantz 3200 preamp and 140 amp. Should have them early next week.

N2X cabinets showed up today. Installed the No-Rez. Tomorrow I will install the crossovers, drivers and hook them up. Gonna have to just play with them in my theater system sitting on top of my Rocket 760's till next week. Should have my 1970's dresser cabinet next week sometime and will be able to start setting up my office with all my new gear! Very Happy
    Larry D

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2009-02-03

Post  Larry D April 30th 2010, 4:39 am

I enjoy vintage gear, also. I have a Marantz Receiver connect right now to a pair of ELTs. It doesn't say on the front what model it is. It looks nice. It has a nice wooden box. It has the spin dial and it's calibrated. The only problem now is a little noise in some of the controls. I have vintage Technics Cassette Deck and inexpensive DVD player connected to it. We use that system as a dedicated Bible Study and Correspondence Course (like The Great Courses) system, although we can listen to FM or play music CDs. However, we have better setups for those.

Upstairs I have a vintage Fisher FM tube tuner.

I have completely refurbished Phase Linear 400 amp. The family member who passed away from cancer, may he rest in peace, had a Dynaco preamp connnected to it. Somehow the preamp got misplaced or lost in storage. Recently, in fact just last month I found a really good deal on an excellent condition Dynaco PAS 3 tube preamp, complete with manual, and I bought that.

These past two months have been a Vintage - Nostalgia time. After the lucky find of the Dynaco preamp, I was offered a really nice pair of the famous Dynaco A-25 speakers. I had been looking and asking around trying to find a pair of the great AR3a speakers but had no luck at all because they've become a collector item and their popularity as a result of the internet has reached faddish proportions... and the price of AR3a's, even those that need a complete rebuilt, reflects that. It's rare to find any anymore, especially any under $800-$1,000 no matter the condiiton.

But miracle of miracle I did find a used pair with cabinets in excellent condition. The insides is going to need some work, but I'm excited. I always loved the AR3a's but could never afford them then. I had AR4's.

I'm going to make a vintage "Sweet 16" speaker someday... maybe a pair of them for stereo. I've bought all the parts, drivers, etc. All I need to do is get a big 4x8 piece of plywood, jigsaw a bunch of holes and mount them someway. I don't think it will sound that great but I think it will be fun and certainly intersting.
    johzel
    johzel

Post  johzel April 30th 2010, 6:25 am

monkeypimp wrote:

Glad I could help! Very Happy

Hey it's either buy another amp or "Donate" your tuner to a good cause! Laughing

"Donate"?? Or trade for something Wink Like a really nice pair of N2X speakers, just for example. Actually, I like the idea of finding another 1060 amp to match the tuner . . . I have a pair of ELT Towers and Reference 1's just sitting around . . . . sure would love to find a decent pair of old Advent speakers. Anyone know what that market is nowadays? Are they in the same sought after league as the old AR's??
    johzel
    johzel

Post  johzel September 24th 2010, 8:08 am

So, thanks to this thread I decided to put together a 1970's vintage system like the one I had during my college days. Hence, found a Marantz 1060/112 amp and tuner combination, a Technics turntable and original Dynaco A-25 speakers. The Dynaco's are marvelous, original condition, found them in a classroom at a University. Anyhow, for a $315 investment I'm pretty pleased. Am thinking a nice classic wood plinth table would be nice but the Technics will work for now. Great fun listening to my old vinyl - and the Dynaco's are fantastic - I had forgotten what great speakers were made back in those days!! By the way, the Davy Crockett lamp is almost as old as me Very Happy

Vintage gear? August11

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 19th 2024, 11:09 am