AudiutopiA

Welcome to AudiutopiA!

audioenjoyment.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

AudiutopiA

Welcome to AudiutopiA!

audioenjoyment.....

AudiutopiA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AudiutopiA

Audioenjoyment

Latest topics

»  Emotiva ERC-1 CD Player / Transport
Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts I_icon_minitimeSeptember 5th 2013, 11:13 am by paintmaster

» Piano Black UFW12 mint....$300 reduced
Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts I_icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2013, 3:22 pm by mobileusa

» Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts
Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2013, 8:17 am by quantx

» engulfaudio
Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2013, 8:12 am by Admin

» Melody I880 For Sale
Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2013, 6:15 am by mobileusa

» M&K S150 THX system
Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts I_icon_minitimeMay 21st 2012, 9:00 pm by ch46eseaknight

» The New Setup at our Townhouse
Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts I_icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2012, 8:44 am by mobileusa

» FS Oppo BDP 93
Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts I_icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2011, 8:15 am by petros the plumber

» WANTED AV123- ONIX SERIES INTERGRATEDS 60'S & 120'S & CD/PLAYERs
Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts I_icon_minitimeMay 24th 2011, 12:07 pm by oddjobs

5 posters

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts

mobileusa
    mobileusa

Number of posts : 564
    Thanked by peers : 12
    Registration date : 2009-01-30

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts Empty Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts

Post  mobileusa April 28th 2010, 10:37 am

mobileusa
    mobileusa

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts Empty Re: Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts

Post  mobileusa April 28th 2010, 12:39 pm

looks like Greg decided to join us... cheers
    greg928gts

Number of posts : 17
    Thanked by peers : 13
    Registration date : 2010-04-28

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts Empty Re: Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts

Post  greg928gts April 28th 2010, 12:47 pm

mobileusa wrote:looks like Greg decided to join us... cheers

Hi,

Yes I'm here. Thank you for the invite

Why is the "crossover pictures" thread locked? I enjoyed looking at the pictures and wanted to contribute one myself.

Greg
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Post  mobileusa April 28th 2010, 12:50 pm

If you like, I can start one just for you....
    greg928gts

Post  greg928gts April 28th 2010, 1:00 pm

mobileusa wrote:If you like, I can start one just for you....

Sure, if you want.

How do you reply without quoting?

Greg
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Post  mobileusa April 28th 2010, 1:04 pm

"add reply" and very bottom of page...yhpm
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Post  mobileusa May 7th 2010, 11:12 am

how long did it take you to rebuild these?
    greg928gts

Post  greg928gts May 7th 2010, 1:30 pm

mobileusa wrote:how long did it take you to rebuild these?

About 100 hours of labor over a three week period.

Greg
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Post  mobileusa May 8th 2010, 5:00 pm

greg928gts wrote:
    mobileusa wrote:how long did it take you to rebuild these?

About 100 hours of labor over a three week period.

Greg

very nice...very, very nice!
    ch46eseaknight

Number of posts : 106
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Post  ch46eseaknight May 8th 2010, 9:41 pm

Looks like they are worth every hour! Nice job!
    greg928gts

Post  greg928gts May 9th 2010, 7:43 am

Thanks guys.

They look beautiful in my living room, and they sound great.

I've been working hard over the last couple of years to improve the quality of sound from Klipsch Khorns. Horn speakers have plenty of good attributes - dynamic range, low distortion, high efficiency - but they also can be harsh, raw, and very revealing of downstream issues. The Khorns that I'm upgrading right now have much larger midrange horn/drivers and a wooden tractrix midrange horn that really improves the performance of the critical midrange frequencies, while still maintaining the characteristics that are desireable in horn speakers.

Greg
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Post  mobileusa May 9th 2010, 8:00 am

greg928gts wrote:Thanks guys.

They look beautiful in my living room, and they sound great.

I've been working hard over the last couple of years to improve the quality of sound from Klipsch Khorns. Horn speakers have plenty of good attributes - dynamic range, low distortion, high efficiency - but they also can be harsh, raw, and very revealing of downstream issues. The Khorns that I'm upgrading right now have much larger midrange horn/drivers and a wooden tractrix midrange horn that really improves the performance of the critical midrange frequencies, while still maintaining the characteristics that are desireable in horn speakers.

Greg

pics please Rolling Eyes
    greg928gts

Post  greg928gts May 9th 2010, 11:30 am

To my ears, the midrange from my speakers was the weak link. The small, constricted throat and the driver that was designed fifty years ago just didn't provide the best sound through the important midrange frequencies.

I replaced the horn with one that I designed (with a lot of help from friends) and built to fit into the tophat of the speaker and keep it stock looking.

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts GRKhorns14

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts GRKhorns16

I used 3/4" plywood for the tops and bottoms, and 3/8" bendable lauan for the sides.

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts GRKhorns17
    greg928gts

Post  greg928gts May 9th 2010, 3:40 pm

The original mid horn and tweeter were mounted to a grill frame, covered with grill cloth and attached to the tophat with four screws. This picture shows the original unit on the left and my new one on the right.

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts GRKhorns20

Original unit on top, my new one on the bottom. On the new one, the tweeter is off to the side, which is not my preference, but a sacrifice I was willing to make.

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts GRKhorns22

Here they are with the drivers attached waiting for testing in my Khorns. The midrange drivers are BMS 4592ND-MID 16ohm, and the tweeters are 8ohm Beyma CP-25. The big difference is the mid drivers with 3.5" voice coils exiting into 2" throat horns, compared to the stock mid drivers which are 2" voice coil exiting into 11/16" throat.

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts GRKhorns39
    greg928gts

Post  greg928gts May 9th 2010, 4:21 pm

Test fitting in one of my Khorns in my living room.

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts GRKhorns41

After completing the horns and fitting all the new components.

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts GRKhorns67

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts GRKhorns68

I used ALK Universal networks

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts GRKhorns66
    greg928gts

Post  greg928gts May 9th 2010, 4:25 pm

I had recently restored a pair of Khorns for a customer and made him a La Scala center channel from a pair of beater La Scalas that I had kicking around. Since that left me with one LS, I decided to make a center for my own Khorns as well. I'm not really sure why I did this, because I don't have room for a center in my living room, and I'm not sure I'd like using it anyway, I really prefer just two speakers. But I had enough veneer and the extra LS, and I figured if I ever sold them I could sell the center with them.

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts GRKhorns8

The LS center is built with a tophat like the Khorns, which is quite different from the normal way a LS is built.

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts GRKhorns45
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 171
    Thanked by peers : 4
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post  Admin May 9th 2010, 4:39 pm

what a talent you possess.... Exclamation
    quantx

Number of posts : 1
    Thanked by peers : 10
    Registration date : 2013-05-10

Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts Empty BMS mid-range

Post  quantx May 10th 2013, 8:17 am

Extraordinary work, Greg
    Pity I'm in Europe with my K-horns.
    A question : is the BMS midrange readily adaptable as a replacement for the K55X, or do I need to do some work on it?
    My Khorns are 2002, with the crossover inside the box.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 19th 2024, 4:31 am