AudiutopiA

Welcome to AudiutopiA!

audioenjoyment.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

AudiutopiA

Welcome to AudiutopiA!

audioenjoyment.....

AudiutopiA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AudiutopiA

Audioenjoyment

Latest topics

»  Emotiva ERC-1 CD Player / Transport
What Blu-Ray players I_icon_minitimeSeptember 5th 2013, 11:13 am by paintmaster

» Piano Black UFW12 mint....$300 reduced
What Blu-Ray players I_icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2013, 3:22 pm by mobileusa

» Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts
What Blu-Ray players I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2013, 8:17 am by quantx

» engulfaudio
What Blu-Ray players I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2013, 8:12 am by Admin

» Melody I880 For Sale
What Blu-Ray players I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2013, 6:15 am by mobileusa

» M&K S150 THX system
What Blu-Ray players I_icon_minitimeMay 21st 2012, 9:00 pm by ch46eseaknight

» The New Setup at our Townhouse
What Blu-Ray players I_icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2012, 8:44 am by mobileusa

» FS Oppo BDP 93
What Blu-Ray players I_icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2011, 8:15 am by petros the plumber

» WANTED AV123- ONIX SERIES INTERGRATEDS 60'S & 120'S & CD/PLAYERs
What Blu-Ray players I_icon_minitimeMay 24th 2011, 12:07 pm by oddjobs

5 posters

What Blu-Ray players

ch46eseaknight

Number of posts : 106
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

What Blu-Ray players Empty What Blu-Ray players

Post  ch46eseaknight March 22nd 2009, 9:19 pm

What BluRay players are you guys using?

I'm looking at the Samsung 1600. It has live streeming from net flix. Thats why I'm liking this one. Open to any other options.
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Number of posts : 564
    Thanked by peers : 12
    Registration date : 2009-01-30

What Blu-Ray players Empty Re: What Blu-Ray players

Post  mobileusa March 23rd 2009, 2:50 pm

I just use a PS3....
    Larry D

Number of posts : 47
    Thanked by peers : 0
    Registration date : 2009-02-03

Post  Larry D March 28th 2009, 2:53 pm

I saw a Sherwood on sale for a good price. The write up sound like it had all the features. It might be a good budget model to start with. Sherwood has a complete line of products. Most of the time I see only the super low cost models advertised.... Receiver for $100, that type of thing. But I found that Sherwood also has expensive full-featured receivers and other products, too. The Blu-Ray player was up somewhere around $300... I forget now if it was under or over, but I told my wife that this might be a good one to try out and if we like it we can always buy a more expensive one later and put this one up in the guest room to wow our grandkids.

I forget where I saw it. It should be easy to Google. I think it was Parts-Express because I try to check them daily to see what the Deal-of-the-Day is, plus any new sales. I've got some really good deals there lately on a variety of stuff. We have XM radio because we like to travel a lot and we listen to Classical Music but it's very hard except near big cities to find a station that plays good music. Then I bought an XM home docking station at WalMart for $100 (found it on the Clearance Aisle) so we could bring it inside. I have it next to our recliners with headphones connected. It (and Sirius which we also have on Dish) is not CD quality but pretty close, especially when bypassing the built-in speakers and using Sennheiser headphones. Parts-Express has a 70% off sale with closeouts and buyouts. They had an XM portable "boom box" type player with built-in antenna for $9.95, a buyout, regularly it was around $79. I ordered one and expected something cheap, but it was a full sized, well made, dual speaker portable "boom box". So, I ordred a second one. They also had an Altec Lansing mp3/ipod dock/charging station for similiar price. I don't know a. diddly or b. squat about that but I set the unopened box up in the guest room for the grandkids.

Prices on Blu-Ray are already coming down. What I need now is another HD tv. Ours is still good but is getting some verticle dark lines. Radio Shack has one on sale 32" for I think it is only $399. I always read the Customer Reviews to get an idea of how people like, problems they experience and so on. Like cars in Comsumer Reports some brands have more than their share of negative responses. The major brand names seem to fare better but their prices are usually higher. The general consensus of Customer Review opinion is that with TVs "you get what you pay for". The Radio Shack brand was AOM... something like that... I'd never heard of it and at that price I was ready to skip right past it and delete their email but I noticed that it had not only quite a few Customer Reviews, but the overall rating was very favorable, one of the best I'd seen. One customer said this brand is very popular in Europe and he was glad to see someone offering it over here. Apparently it is a company that makes OEM LCD HT screens for a number of other companies, including some major brands. I stopped at Radio Shack in Ava, MO last week and they had one left. I just couldn't justify another tv now. I've lost a lot of my IRA which was invested in several of the big name top performing mutual funds.

I think I hijacked the thread... in fact, I think I hijacked my hijack! Sorry about that.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 171
    Thanked by peers : 4
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post  Admin March 28th 2009, 7:59 pm

Larry, you are a man of many words......
    Larry D

Post  Larry D March 30th 2009, 5:06 pm

Too many. Nothing else to do. Audio ennui has engulfed me. I'm adrift. I have everything I want. More than I need. I'm trying to find something else. I can't watch the news. The new administration's budget the news said is over three times Bush's budget. I didn't like his budget. Do you hear Nancy Pelosi whining? I'm not talking politics, just the facts that lead to my current depression. Yes, I catagorize them.

By the way, I checked Costco.com last night and noticed they had both Samsung and Sherwood Blu-Ray for $249 each.

I will stop.
    washburn
    washburn

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2009-01-30

Post  washburn March 31st 2009, 9:28 am

I'd consider the Panasonic BD35 (old )
    or the new version BD 60 or BD 80.

Thoseare considered to be the best AFA PQ, build quality and reputation goes.

I myself will be going with the Panasonic BD 60 soon, as I don't need the 5.1 analog outs that BD 80 has.
    Cnet said the Panny BD35 (or successor BD60) is probably the best out there for the money.

the BD 60 is about $300, and judging by reviews at AVS, blows Sammy away.
    ch46eseaknight

Number of posts : 106
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Post  ch46eseaknight April 1st 2009, 8:04 pm

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to get the Sherwood for a temp. Once I buy a HTR that takes HDMI I'll upgrade to the Denon or Sony.
    Larry D

Post  Larry D April 7th 2009, 5:46 am

Let us know about the Sherwood. Did anyone notice that www.Costco.com has both a Sherwood and a ... well, I forgot now... starts with an S... it's either Samsung, Sansui or Sanyo. I think it was Samsung. I like Samsung. Consumer Reports rated several of the Samsung HDTVs as best of all in different sizes recently. At Costco.com both were $249.

There is one HDTV/Blu-Ray combo available now. I'm sure more will come soon. My wife and I like the "combo" tvs because they are so easy to operate. If you put a disc in the machines figure... well, you want to watch a movie... so the tv is turned off and the disc is automatically loaded. On our HDTV we have Dish satellite... the HD satellite box. I've got separate DVD player hooked up like I've always had on tvs, but for some reason each time we use it I have to go through menus of configuration to get it to play. It was such a hassle we haven't used it now in over a year. We hardly ever watch movies anyway so it's no big loss, but every once in a while there is a decent movie that we want to watch. The problem is each time in between I've forgotten how I managed to get it to play last time after fiddling with menus and buttons for half-an-hour.

I'd like to read your impressions of Blu-Ray. I know it's better, but is it necessary? We want to buy another HDTV. I had my heart set on a 1080 but the more I read people, including reviewers, said there's not really that much difference. Of course, there's lots more pixels, but they were referring to what the average person can actually see. We've been happy with our 720 HDTV but it's not getting some verticle lines.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is March 28th 2024, 12:51 pm