AudiutopiA

Welcome to AudiutopiA!

audioenjoyment.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

AudiutopiA

Welcome to AudiutopiA!

audioenjoyment.....

AudiutopiA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AudiutopiA

Audioenjoyment

Latest topics

»  Emotiva ERC-1 CD Player / Transport
How are you preparing for the future? I_icon_minitimeSeptember 5th 2013, 11:13 am by paintmaster

» Piano Black UFW12 mint....$300 reduced
How are you preparing for the future? I_icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2013, 3:22 pm by mobileusa

» Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts
How are you preparing for the future? I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2013, 8:17 am by quantx

» engulfaudio
How are you preparing for the future? I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2013, 8:12 am by Admin

» Melody I880 For Sale
How are you preparing for the future? I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2013, 6:15 am by mobileusa

» M&K S150 THX system
How are you preparing for the future? I_icon_minitimeMay 21st 2012, 9:00 pm by ch46eseaknight

» The New Setup at our Townhouse
How are you preparing for the future? I_icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2012, 8:44 am by mobileusa

» FS Oppo BDP 93
How are you preparing for the future? I_icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2011, 8:15 am by petros the plumber

» WANTED AV123- ONIX SERIES INTERGRATEDS 60'S & 120'S & CD/PLAYERs
How are you preparing for the future? I_icon_minitimeMay 24th 2011, 12:07 pm by oddjobs

5 posters

How are you preparing for the future?

CloudStrife
    CloudStrife

Number of posts : 92
    Thanked by peers : 0
    Registration date : 2009-01-31

How are you preparing for the future? Empty How are you preparing for the future?

Post  CloudStrife February 19th 2009, 1:27 am

I mean the likely consequences of the bailouts/"stimuli".

I'm just getting into buying precious metals to hopefully protect me from hyperinflation. One can make money in this volatile market, but I'm either unlucky, not that good, or both. I expect bullets to hold their value pretty well to.
    Larry D

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2009-02-03

How are you preparing for the future? Empty Re: How are you preparing for the future?

Post  Larry D February 24th 2009, 7:29 am

Where and how do you buy precious metals without being taken for a ride? My son and I used to collect coins. The U.S. Mint would sell gold coins for the current price at the time of issue. Coin dealers are a rip off. They make used car salesmen look like Mother Theresa. I remember when I was a journalist in New York covering the United Nations some of my friends kept their investments in diamonds, even carried them with them, but they said unless a person is an expert in grading diamonds, it is easy to get cheated. Most people don't have a clue where to buy precious metals or what to pay for them, or know when they are getting cheated.

We decided to buy a farm so we could grow stuff in case of emergency. We have a large 50x150' organic garden, a 4x16' raised bed and several 3x3' raised beds and about 25 or so "self-watering planters" from various sources... www.aGardenPatch.com and www.gardeners.com and www.growbox.com These things really work well, just as they advertise. I've grown everything in them, tomatoes, peppers, beans, cucumbers, brocoli, lettuce, cabbages, collards, even corn, flowers. Look at the pictures in their ads... that's exactly how they grow stuff. They're wonderful. I have some friends in Eastern Washington who have a beautiful home but couldn't grown anything because of the deer eating everything. I suggested putting grow boxes on their second floor big southern facing deck. She was very reluctant because she didn't think they would work. I showed them mine. I had about 6 or 8 at that time where I grew tomatoes. I was surprised later when she brought me some beautiful cucumbers. She said she had taken my advice and bought five of them and put them on her deck. She had tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, lettuces, all sorts of stuff. She was so happy.

In a big emergency hopefully our family can come to Missouri. We have a big three story home. We just had the attic drywalled and it's beautiful. The younger folks can go back and work the big garden. I may dig it up this year just to keep the weeds down, but even though I've had the water fixes, there is still no water back there. Before I ran a 200' or so hose. It comes from the pump and unfortunately doesn't have enough water pressure to adequately opperate the water squerters. I ran a water pipe to the orchard first year when I planted a couple dozen apple and few plum trees and I planned to put in drip irrigation. I've bought most of the stuff, just never got around to it.

Our problem is I just can't do a lot by myself. I can barely walk the way it is. My wife is 77. We have to hire people to do everything. Last year we even hired someone to mow because my wife had to have her hip replaced and I had diabetes and caught pneumonia twice. My wife (me, too) want to travel again this summer. We couldn't go anywhere last year... we made a couple of short trips to visit relaltives in Tennessee. She likes cruises. I like to drive.
    CloudStrife
    CloudStrife

How are you preparing for the future? Empty Re: How are you preparing for the future?

Post  CloudStrife February 24th 2009, 7:08 pm

I ordered from apmex.com. You can figure up the price per ounce on your own to compare to the current market to be sure you're not paying way over the value. I'm not a coin collector, so the cheapest format is fine with me. I bought a 10gram bar of gold that worked out to be cheaper than the current market price at the time. The silver coins I bought were $1.50 above spot value. The stamping and reselling do cost a little. Unless you want to pay out the rear for fancy coins, I'd just get the plain stuff and do the math to be sure you're getting a good deal.

I just bought a bunch of seeds. My yard isn't huge, and I have a dog, so I may look into those containers you mentioned. Is there anything that grows during the winter?
    CloudStrife
    CloudStrife

Post  CloudStrife February 25th 2009, 8:02 am

Have you tried these? http://www.gardeners.com/Self-Watering-Trough-Planters/VegetablePlanters_Cat,18424,default,cp.html
    Some people complain about them filling with rain water, but I can drill holes. The grow box costs twice as much. It has less than double the surface area, but more than twice the volume. I know surface area determines how many of something you can plant, but how much depth is necessary for things like beans, spinach, broccoli, etc. This would be for practical use, so I don't care so much about little peppers and things like that or corn that doesn't provide much nutrients.
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Number of posts : 564
    Thanked by peers : 12
    Registration date : 2009-01-30

Post  mobileusa March 4th 2009, 4:23 pm

how's the green acres project going?
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Post  mobileusa March 4th 2009, 4:24 pm

CloudStrife wrote:I ordered from apmex.com. You can figure up the price per ounce on your own to compare to the current market to be sure you're not paying way over the value. I'm not a coin collector, so the cheapest format is fine with me. I bought a 10gram bar of gold that worked out to be cheaper than the current market price at the time. The silver coins I bought were $1.50 above spot value. The stamping and reselling do cost a little. Unless you want to pay out the rear for fancy coins, I'd just get the plain stuff and do the math to be sure you're getting a good deal.

I just bought a bunch of seeds. My yard isn't huge, and I have a dog, so I may look into those containers you mentioned. Is there anything that grows during the winter?

I also bought a few seeds and will plant on some land I have on the river. I can set up a simple irrigation system straight from the river for watering...
    Django1

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Post  Django1 August 29th 2010, 6:04 am

CloudStrife wrote:I mean the likely consequences of the bailouts/"stimuli".

I'm just getting into buying precious metals to hopefully protect me from hyperinflation.

So how did you do with that hyperinflation? lol!
    ch46eseaknight

Number of posts : 106
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Post  ch46eseaknight August 30th 2010, 8:44 pm

Like a gun, I'd rather have one and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Does not hurt to prepare for the worst. No
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Post  mobileusa February 3rd 2011, 10:50 pm

Prayer

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 2:31 am