AudiutopiA

Welcome to AudiutopiA!

audioenjoyment.....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

AudiutopiA

Welcome to AudiutopiA!

audioenjoyment.....

AudiutopiA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AudiutopiA

Audioenjoyment

Latest topics

»  Emotiva ERC-1 CD Player / Transport
Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs I_icon_minitimeSeptember 5th 2013, 11:13 am by paintmaster

» Piano Black UFW12 mint....$300 reduced
Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs I_icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2013, 3:22 pm by mobileusa

» Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts
Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs I_icon_minitimeMay 10th 2013, 8:17 am by quantx

» engulfaudio
Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2013, 8:12 am by Admin

» Melody I880 For Sale
Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs I_icon_minitimeMarch 11th 2013, 6:15 am by mobileusa

» M&K S150 THX system
Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs I_icon_minitimeMay 21st 2012, 9:00 pm by ch46eseaknight

» The New Setup at our Townhouse
Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs I_icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2012, 8:44 am by mobileusa

» FS Oppo BDP 93
Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs I_icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2011, 8:15 am by petros the plumber

» WANTED AV123- ONIX SERIES INTERGRATEDS 60'S & 120'S & CD/PLAYERs
Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs I_icon_minitimeMay 24th 2011, 12:07 pm by oddjobs

4 posters

Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs

jedinite24

Number of posts : 39
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs Empty Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs

Post  jedinite24 June 4th 2010, 11:01 am

Hey everyone

Sorry for not particpating as much as others. I've been busy with other things non audio related.

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are or what digital coax cables they use for their DACs/transports. Are the cables that $50 or more really head and shoulders above the budget cables from Monoprice or BJC?

Currently right now I'm using BJC digital coax throughout and am happy with the sound.

I'm getting a used McCormack DAC-1 and from talking to Steve (I'm shocked I was able to speak to him. I just called for the hell of it) and he suggested the Veloce Digital Coax cable by Chris Sommavigo.

http://www.blackcatcable.net/veloce.php

From other people asked I got suggestions to look @ the DH Labs customized Digital Coax from Moon Audio.

These cables though range from $123 to $170.

Thx and advise when you can. JD
    Hugh

Number of posts : 186
    Thanked by peers : 28
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs Empty Re: Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs

Post  Hugh June 4th 2010, 11:45 am

Try to use your existing cable with the new dac and see how it sounds to you.

If it sounds good then there's no need to a more expensive one.

Btw, I DO believe in cables so...
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Number of posts : 564
    Thanked by peers : 12
    Registration date : 2009-01-30

Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs Empty Re: Thoughts/Opinions on Digital Coax cables for DACs

Post  mobileusa June 4th 2010, 12:42 pm

Ditto, if you're happy with the sound then....... cheers

BTW, good to hear from you!
    jedinite24

Number of posts : 39
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

Post  jedinite24 June 4th 2010, 2:06 pm

Mobile & Hugh

Thanks so much for the honesty gents. I think most audiophiles would have just said to get the more expensive cables right off the bat. I'll give the BJC cables a try and try to resist the urge to get the Veloce cables.

JD
    kugs22

Number of posts : 1
    Thanked by peers : 10
    Registration date : 2010-06-23

Post  kugs22 June 23rd 2010, 11:49 am

With respect, the typical advice to "try what you have and if you like it, leave it" does not really address the issue. The simple fact is that different coax cables sound different, and the same cables often sound different in different setups. And often, but not always, "different" is better. This is not always a function of price. I have tried a half-dozen different coaxes in my system from $9 to $250, and have found a couple in the $120 range that I like (although I admit I do like the more expensive Voodoo cable better). I'm taking delivery of a couple more to try (including the Veloce, arriving today) to see if I can get anything better within my budget.

The point is, if you're satisfied with your system, there is no point experimenting with gear, whether expensive or not. But how many times did you think your system couldn't sound better, only to find that, in fact, it can sound better? And that experience comes from experimenting. It doesn't mean that more expensive cables are necessarily better; it does mean that there is a good chance there is a "better" cable for you out there somewhere. If you try, say, a half dozen cords and the differences shrink to near zero between the last two finalists, then you're done (at least for a while!). But to ask if a Voodoo cable is 'better' than BJC is not really the point. It is a question of trying cables within your budget, not trying to rationalize your less expensive gear as being as good as expensive gear - it might be; it might not be, but only your system knows for sure.

For example, I have a couple of Verastarr Grand Illusion power cords in my system I like a lot. They are expensive. I took them to my buddy's house for a spin in his much more expensive system. It was clear in two minutes that they were not in sync in the midbass, and that his modest Pangea's were a better match. But I have tried the Pangeas in my system, and although okay, they don't have the magic of the Verastarrs. I am happy I paid the money for them. But that doesn't mean they are perfect everywhere.

My advice is to try a few other cords in your price range to see if you say "wow." If you don't, you'll be out some shipping charges, but you'll know the BJC is for you. Otherwise, lighten your wallet and enjoy the difference. There is fun in experimenting, so long as (like drinking) it is done responsibly.

Good luck whatever your decision!
    mobileusa
    mobileusa

Number of posts : 564
    Thanked by peers : 12
    Registration date : 2009-01-30

Post  mobileusa June 23rd 2010, 8:48 pm

well said kugs...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 8:17 am